Sunday, September 13, 2009

Waffling Around

I don't know about you, but I have multiple email accounts. One is for actual email correspondence. Another is for junk mail and internet shopping. Yet another is for newsletters and updates. (Plus a few more...) I subscribe to a few different recipe/food newsletters, one of which is "The Dish" from Food & Wine. Typically the content is repurposed from the most recent issue, but it might also consist of party ideas, seasonal cooking topics, or holiday meal planning.

One of the most recent emails was titled, "New Ideas for Back to School Basics: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner." Makes sense. It's September after all. But once I looked at the recipes I realized that Food & Wine is on another planet when it comes to back to school basics. One of their back to school breakfast recipes was Classic Belgian Waffles with Belgian Chocolate Fudge Sauce. Umm...who exactly is making waffles for breakfast before school? That don't go straight from freezer to toaster? Back in the day I could barely get out of the house on time after making instant oatmeal. That couple of minutes waiting for the water to heat up in the tea kettle was tenuous. (That's where Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch saved the day.)


 
I HAD to try the F&W waffle recipe just to see for myself if it was possible to make efficiently. I love waffles but it's something I'll see on brunch menus and never order because they seem too decadent, and typically I'll need a nap after. (Apparently not too much for a weekday breakfast I guess!) I strangely do have a waffle maker, though I don't think I've used it in about 5 years.

Here's what I discovered. The waffle recipe is delicious. But I also spent the better part of the morning on it. In between making the batter and waiting for it to activate (like a mini-proof), I managed to also fold laundry, pay bills, watch tennis, and make coffee. So sure, you could make it on a weekday morning if you also need some extra time to finish homework, change sheets, and flat iron your hair. But I would suggest that you wait until you have a leisurely Saturday morning filled with cartoons and mimosas to indulge in this waffle recipe. Unless Alice lives with you. Then make her do it. Every day.



 

























Classic Belgian Waffles
(by Thomas DeGeest for Food & Wine)

1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
2 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pure maple syrup
Confectioners’ sugar



1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in the water. In a large bowl, stir the flour with the salt. Whisk in the yeast mixture, milk, butter, egg yolks and vanilla until smooth.
 
2. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the batter and let stand for 20 minutes.

3. Preheat the oven to 225°F. Heat and grease a waffle iron. Pour 1 1/4 cups of the batter into the iron and cook until the waffles are golden, 6 minutes. Transfer the waffles to the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter. Drizzle the waffles with maple syrup and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, and serve. Makes 4 - 6 waffles.

7 comments:

WendyB said...

These are the most beautiful waffle pictures ever. You did this with the same ol' point & shoot? Dang.

Anonymous said...

but I don't have a waffle machine
:(

ps: I have 4 e-mail account rs,

kiss! :)

WendyB said...

P.S. When are we getting our new cameras? I can't wait!

Tina said...

Wendy - Maybe you can represent me when I quit my day job and become a full time point-and-shoot photog like Terry Richardson! We should camera shop soon!

Fabiano - Not many people have waffle irons. Exactly why this isn't a very practical recipe for every day!

Jennifer said...

I do have a waffle iron. It was on my secret santa list two years ago. i love it. Makes perfect waffles every time. Except for the first two. I highly recommend one. It is easy to use and even better, simple to clean up. Can't wait to try.

Sarah P said...

A. I TOTALLY hear you about Food & Wine not getting it about school day mornings. You could drop by their offices and mention that, but not until 11am when I bet they all roll in.

B. Why is it that your recipe headers are now like 7 delightful pages long, compared to those one-sentence days when we were working on (ahem!) a certain book?

Tina said...

Oh, Sarah! I'm just now learning how to fake it.. ;) I didn't know how back then. Practice makes perfect!